Jean-Paul Natola wrote:
>> Just accept the fact that mail gets into a queue when using processes like
>> SA. If outgoing spam is not a concern, set your system so that outbound
>> mail is not passed thru SA.
>>

> I actually only use the exim/sa  as incoming filter, I do not send through it.
>
> The reason I was trying to tweak it, maybe I'm going about it wrong,  but
> spamd winds up timing out a lot. Then people call and say there messages were
> not delivered or delayed etc...

That may be a consequence of the swap usage.  Lower the number of
children until you do not see any swap usage.  Alternately, add some ram
so you can support more children.

Adding ram is always a good idea if you can manage it.  Linux will use
any excess ram as disk cache, which can also help speed up the system.
I always spec out systems with 4GB of ram these days.

--
Bowie