On 26.05.2010 01:09 CE(S)T, Adam Katz wrote:
> Please note that the ZMI German rules are very old, and while there
> have been a few recent tweaks to the file, it doesn't look terribly
> useful to any system that uses the Bayesian filter (more on this
> later).  I would expect these rules to fire quite rarely, even in
> environments that have lots of German-language mail.

Thanks for the info. So I could drop it again as well.

>   spamassassin --lint -D config 2>&1 |grep zmi_german

>   spamassassin --lint

Those told me that it should be all fine.

> Next, let's see if the rules are ever triggering.  This is merely a
> question of filtering your logs (assuming SA is properly logged).

I did that already a few days ago but there was no hit. That's why I was
asking. But it seems the rules are useless to me.

> Stepping away from the ZMI issue and headig towards the larger
> picture, what kind of spam are you trying to nail down with this
> ruleset?  What goals did you hope to meet with the ZMI rules?  If it's
> a specific type of spam, can you pastebin an example so we can help
> you more directly?

I have submitted a couple of those spam messages to the ruleset
maintainer, but I'm not sure if it helps. I can repost it here if you
like to see it. (ZIP 48 kB)

> Are you using Bayes?  Are you training it?

Yes. Yes. I'm only training it with spam messages though. I assume it
autolearns all the rest. But the bayes filter is absolutely useless to
me, it most often rates spam 0-1%, even for repeatedly learned spam
messages. Maybe I should erase the bayes brain and restart from new?

> Most people who want to improve their deployment's SA filters aren't
> properly utilizing the various plugins.  Specifically, DNSBLs, URIBLs,
> and Bayes, but also things like Razor2, DCC (if legal), and Pyzor.

The very most helpful plugin to me is Botnet. It detects most spam and
rates 5 points which is often a big step towards rejection. Most other
SA rules don't detect anything although I'm running sa-update daily and
it reports an update every some weeks. Only the DNSBL rules apply every
once in a while - at least to what is passing the filter. I haven't
investigated what's been blocked successfully. I think I've still
installed the Image Info thing plugin but I don't think it catches
anything these days. Image spam seems to be over.

> Upgrading to SA 3.3.1 would be a big step up if you're not there
> already (if you can't, you might want to consider a back-port of the
> better DNSBLs to SA 3.2.x like my khop-bl channel).

I need to upgrade to SA 3.3, true. It's always been a hassle somewhere
between CPAN, other disfunctional Perl junk, source code and Debian
packages... It's a very complicated job. I'm also considering setting up
the entire machine anew on Ubuntu basis and only use platform packages
but that's not something I can do in the near future.

--
Yves Goergen "LonelyPixel" <nospam.l...@unclassified.de>