On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:39:33AM -0400, Adam Moffett wrote:
> My philosophy in the past has always been not to scan outgoing
> emails because my users are not likely to be spamming.
>
> However, a couple of issues recently with spambots and SMTP AUTH
> with weak passwords has me reconsidering that stance.
>
> Is anyone here currently scanning their outgoing mail with SA?  Good
> results?  Bad results?

We are scanning both ways without problems - very low false positive
rate.

The reason: it happened once or twice that some spam came from inside
our network with the resulting risk that our domain could be
blacklisted.

We use spamassassin in combination with the following filters on smtp-level:

- clamav with sanesecurity signatures which stops a lot of spam even
  before it reach spamassassin.
- spamhaus' blacklisting which also block a lot of spam at an early
 stage.
- several checks in exim.
- spamassassin which only get into the action after the email has passed
  the first filters.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4599

     "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the
      Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and
      ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price:
      therefore glorify God in your body, and in your
      spirit, which are God's."      I Corinthians 6:19,20