Hi,

> My email server, squirrelmail, has spamassassin already installed.  To

Squirrelmail isn't your email server, it's a client to an email server
like postfix or sendmail.

> configure, it says to enter the score above which emails should be
> quarantined.  Unfortunately nowhere on that page, nor in the SA FAQ, nor in

Perhaps it's not as clear as it should be, but you can find it here:

http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.1.x/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html#scoring_options

The default score is 5, before an email is considered spam, but
spamassassin itself only does the scoring -- it's up to another
program, such as amavisd-new (separate application) or spamd (included
with spamassassin) to do something with the email once it has been
determined to be spam.

You should ask your administrator what the default score is, because
while 5 is what most implementations use, it doesn't necessarily mean
it is what yours is using.

Also, even if it is 5, there may be some false positives (mail
inadvertently marked as spam when it shouldn't have been) that raise
the score above 5 that you may want to analyze before discarding.

Regards,
Alex