On Sat, 2010-07-31 at 09:13 +0300, Henrik K wrote:
> You are making strange and wrong speculations.

Fair enough - now I know this.

> It parses applicable rules into "native C code regexes", instead of running
> them through Perl regex engine. It's known to speed up things 15% or so
> (look at sa-users archives). As a bonus, it saves some memory.

So I see. Thanks for the correction.

> As network rules are usually much more longer in duration, you might not
> notice that much difference in total scan time. Also depends on whether you
> have big rulesets like Sought.

OK, makes sense. I've noticed that a mass check of local rules can vary
quite a lot in run time and that the second run in a session is usually
faster. I run a local copy of named, so had assumed that that most of
the run time variation was down to remote server loading and contention
on my local broadband segments.

Martin