Hi there,

For a Test, we setup the following scenario:

Box-A: Running Ubuntu 10.04, Spamassassin 3.3.1 compiled from source.
SA is configured to accept remote connections from specified IP´s, which
works perfectly. No special Setup yet, no external rules, no nothing.

Box-B: Running a Commercial Product with some-kind-of SA integrated
(MDaemon), and the Option to configure an external SA.

When setting up Box-A as external spamd on Box-B, the following occurs:
(I just dumped the Traffic via ngrep to see what happens, IP/Hostnames
wiped out for Privacy Reasons)

T B.B.B.B:1751 -> A.A.A.A:783 [AP]
  REPORT SPAMC/1.3..Content-length: 2172....

T B.B.B.B:1751 -> A.A.A.A:783 [A]
(somehost.tld [x.x.x.x]) by hostname-of-box-B (--MDaemon Spam Filter--);
Mon, 09 Aug 2010 16:47:52 +0200..Received: from

and so on.

The interesting Part is the Answer of spamd:

T A.A.A.A:783 -> B.B.B.B:1751 [AP]
  SPAMD/1.1 0 EX_OK..

T A.A.A.A:783 -> B.B.B.B:1751 [AFP]
software, running on the system "hostname-of-Box-A", has.identified this
incoming email as possible spam.  The original message.has bee
  n attached to this so you can view it (if it isn't spam) or
label.similar future email.  If you have any questions, see.the
administrator of that system for details...Content preview:  FFF bla etc
[...]

This happens everytime, no matter if the Score is above Threshold or
not. For sure, Box-B dumps this information into the headers :)

Just for Fun, i configured another box (Box-C) (which is in Production
for months) as an external spamd for Box-B, which gives me the same
curios results as above.

Using another spamc (The one running on Box-C), the answers are as
expected (report_safe 1) Notice PROCESS instead of REPORT, also the
Protocolversions are diferent:

T C.C.C.C:37088 -> A.A.A.A:783 [AP]
  PROCESS SPAMC/1.5..User: someu...@tld.invalid..content-length:
1189....

T C.C.C.C:37088 -> A.A.A.A:783 [AFP]

Results in:

T B.B.B.B:783 -> C.C.C.C:37088 [AP]
  SPAMD/1.1 0 EX_OK..Content-length: 1362..Spam: False ; -1.9 /
6.5....X-Spam-Level: .X-Spam-Status: No, score=-1.9 require
  d=6.5 tests=BAYES_00,TVD_SPACE_RATIO..autolearn=no
version=3.3.1.X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.3.1 (2010-03-16).

Am i doing something completely wrong here? Just wondering.

andy