Jason Haar wrote:
>  On 08/17/2010 01:04 PM, John Hardin wrote:
>
>> You might consider implementing spamhaus zen as an MTA-level hard
>> reject DNSBL (I do that, maybe that's why I don't see any pharma
>> spam?) - many admins trust it enough to do that, and the sample you
>> posted hit on the abuseat CBL, which is a zen feed.
>>
> As per my initial email, none of the RBLs hit the message when they get
> in. More precisely:<SNIP>

Jason,

Actually, for the sample you posted, ivmURI had the domain name in the
clickable link blacklisted a whole two days BEFORE that spam was sent to
you. Likewise, the IP was already in the ivmSIP/24 blacklist for MANY
days prior to this... and probably BEFORE this IP was ever used for
sending spam. (In fact, ivmSIP/24 WILL block many "zero day" spams, but
without the FPs typically associated with most other /24 blacklists)

But, then again, I'm obviously biased towards the invaluement lists.
Therefore, for a better non-biased evaluation, take the ones which you
keep missing and, extremely soon after they are missed... go to
http://multirbl.valli.org
<visitors?site_id=42154&date=2010-08-16&domain=multirbl.valli.org> and
check both the sending IP, and any suspicious domains in the clickable
links (I'd have suggested mxtoolbox or dnsstuff... but I know that
multirbl.valli.org
<visitors?site_id=42154&date=2010-08-16&domain=multirbl.valli.org> will
allow for checking the URI in the clickable link against URI blacklists,
in addition to the sending IP)

If you can do that check literally seconds after your spam filter missed
the spam, then you'll likely see which blacklists you aren't using would
have blocked it. Of course, some lists might have the item listed, but
are of little value due to such lists blocking too much legit mail. So
ignore those! But any extreme-low-FP DNSBL that listed those missed
spams prior to you receiving the spam should prove VERY worthy of your
attention!

If the others spams are like your example spam, you should see
invaluement coming up over and over... and you might also see one or two
other freely available, non-commercial DNSBLs come up as well that might
help you (at no cost!), too!

--
Rob McEwen
http://dnsbl.invaluement.com/