On 10/27/2010 10:34 AM, Kris Deugau wrote:
> Sharma, Ashish wrote:
>> I have SpamAssassin(3.3.1) deployed on production servers.
>>
>> The automatic update is disabled there.
>
> How did you install SA?  I don't know of any packages that will run
> sa-update automatically, and I'm sure the tarball doesn't include any
> automatic rule updates anywhere either.
>
>> I want to know what is the best approach for ruleset updates:
>>
>> 1. sa-update
>
> For SA 3.3.x, this is really the ONLY way to get updated rulesets.
> The source tarball no longer includes the rules at all.
>
>> 2. Manual update
>
> If you really desperately *want* to reimplement all or most of
> sa-update, you can.
>
>> I favor manual update as I want to keep a local list of rule set
>> updates going to my production and if anything goes bad I can backtrack.
>>
>> Please post relevant references for doing manual ruleset update on
>> SpamAssassin(3.3.1).
>
> I think you're asking the question you really want to ask in the wrong
> way;  can you expand on what you're trying to control?  There's no
> reason you can't run sa-update manually on your own schedule;  however
> keep in mind it has no rollback capability so if you really want to do
> that you'll have to set up something yourself.  You can also use a
> combination of automated updates and manual updates;  for instance, I
> have Justin Mason's SOUGHT rules automatically updated daily, but the
> other rulesets are only updated by a manual call to sa-update.
>
> FWIW, with changes in the official ruleset publishing and
> score-generation process, it may be wise to *enable* automatic updates
> on at least the core, official ruleset, so that bugfixes and updates
> to the core rules go live for you while they're still relevant.

I agree.  I've been running sa-update automatically on my production
servers for as long as it has been available.  The only problems I can
remember are when sa-update is unable to download the rules or the rules
get corrupted for some reason.  In both of these cases, sa-update
generates an error and SpamAssassin continues running normally.

--
Bowie