I’m sure many of you are familiar with the targeted ESP phishing attack that
has been ongoing for almost a year now and has led to multiple known ESP system
breaches. Return Path was recently a victim of this same attack. So far, we
have three blog posts on our client/marketer blog about this – you can read
them here from November 24, November 25, and November 26.

http://www.returnpath.net/blog/intheknow/2010/11/security-alert-phishing-attack-aimed-at-esps
http://www.returnpath.net/blog/intheknow/2010/11/security-alert-update-on-esp-phishing-attack
http://www.returnpath.net/blog/intheknow/2010/11/security-alert-phishing-attack-update

In short, a relatively small list of our clients’ email addresses was taken
from us, meaning those addresses are now the targets of the phishing campaign
that are intended to compromise those client systems.

To be sure, many of those addresses have been targets of this campaign and
others like it for months prior to the attack on the Return Path system, since
this campaign is specifically seeking out and attacking the email marketing and
ESP community. But we are assuming, and behaving as if, any fresh campaigns are
likely somehow linked to the data breach on our end.

Data was taken from us, and that security hole is now closed. However, some of
our clients that are being attacked send mail from IP addresses that are
Certified by Return Path. Since we jumped on this issue on the Wednesday before
Thanksgiving, we have identified two sending system compromises of two of our
clients. Our monitoring caught these compromises, and the compromised IPs have
been removed from the Certified list.

As you might expect, investigating a data breach of this kind takes a
tremendous amount of post-hoc forensic work, so it’s taken us a little while to
get our arms around exactly what happened. That part isn’t particularly
interesting. Here’s what those two compromises looked like, what we’ve done
about them, what we’re doing to monitor more aggressively for future
compromises, and what we’d like to ask of you.

[more]

http://www.returnpath.net/blog/received/2010/11/phishing-attack-an-open-letter-to-the-anti-spam-and-mailbox-operator-community/

--
Neil Schwartzman
Senior Director

Tel: (303) 999-3217
AIM: returnpathcanuk
http://www.returnpath.net/blog/received/

Help the poor help themselves. Fund a small business with micro-loans at
http://www.kiva.org/team/returnpath