----- "Ted Mittelstaedt" <t...@ipinc.net> wrote:

> On 12/28/2010 12:14 PM, Warren Togami Jr. wrote:
> > Folks here are missing the point, that NJABL is catching not much
> of
> > anything, like less than 1% of spam, and with a relatively high FP
> > ratio.  I don't understand this desire to keep such a poor
> performing
> > rule, especially when it costs a network query.
> >

> Warren let me give you a bit of political education.
>
> When you go to www.njabl.org you get a nice folksy
> explanation of what a blacklist is, how to get on it and how to get
> off
> of it, and when you go to www.mailspike.net you get nothing other
> than
> a fancy graphics page of a map of the world.

I think you may be overreacting a bit Ted.
You are right that information is scarce (there's lots of stuff missing and
some sections aren't completed yet), but there's at least *some* information.
Not just fancy graphics. Have you checked
http://mailspike.org/anubis/about_data.html?

> The issue with blacklists is such, I have a customer, I block that
> customer's inbound e-mail because of a blacklist, I get a FP and now
> my customer demands an explanation of why I blocked it.

Clearly something we need to improve, like most of the stuff that's still
missing on the site.

> I can point my customer to njabl.org and say "that site blocked it"
> and my customer can then point his corespondent to njabl.org and
> that corespondent can then point their boneheaded system admin to
> njabl.org with a demand that said boneheaded system admin fix
> whatever
> the problem is that is getting them listed.
>
> In other words, sites like njabl.org help me, as the spam-blocking
> system admin, shift the blame for a FP from me, to the actual
> responsible party, ie: the system admin who is running the open
> mailserver that sent the spam to my server in the first place.
>
> But, sites like mailspike.net, because they are so stripped down,
> actually do the reverse - they help concentrate the blame for the
> FP on me, because they provide no support whatsoever for anyone using
> them.

This is not true Ted.
Delist requests can be issued via the web site, and we do answer (on a best
effort basis) to support requests via the email address on the site.

> I do not deny mailspike.net is probably far better a bl than njabl.
> I've used njabl for years and 8 years ago it was great but today it's
> admin obviously has not bothered to keep up with maintainence on it.
>
> But mailspike.net doesn't even have a list of criteria of how to
> get off of it, and looking at their site you don't even really know
> what the hell it is.  If I were to tell a customer I blocked their
> mail due to mailspike.net they would think I'm an idiot when they
> went to that site to see what mailspike.net actually is.

Well.. the web site clearly needs to be improved. But the information is there,
even if it's not always obvious (depending on who is reading it).

> This is yet another example, of which there are a plethora, in the
> computer industry where a superior product or service, because it
> comes
> in a plain brown wrapper, fails to obtain market share while an
> inferior product or service, because it's slicked up, retains and
> gains
> market share.
>
> Apple Computer Company mastered this product marketing ages ago
> when they slicked up FreeBSD & Next code, then came out with MacOS X
> that is years behind current FreeBSD with it's internals.  But clearly
>
> some people, like the owners of mailspike.net, haven't got the
> message.

Again, a bit harsh, but I see your point.
We shall improve the web site whenever possible.
As everything free (and we would like to keep it that way), it's kind of
subject to time+effort constraints, and typically we prefer to make use of that
improving the efficiency of the list, and not so much working on the web site..

--
João Gouveia
AnubisNetworks/Mailspike