From: Mark Martinec [mailto:mark.martinec...@ijs.si]
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:25 AM
To: users@spamassassin.apache.org
Subject: Re: little off topic monitoring question

Shane,

> We would like to start monitoring our two smtp servers. They are
> fairly busy boxes, maybe 100,000 messages a day, give or take several
> thousand.
> They of course run Spamassassin, Postfix is also used. We use MRTG to
> monitor internal servers and switches, and would really like something
> with a similar graph.

If you are using amavisd to call SpamAssassin (instead of spamd), then there is
a huge number of SNMP counters and gauges to monitor the operation in real
time, including SNMP gauges on current Postfix queue sizes. See:
   http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/AMAVIS-MIB.txt
for a list of available OIDs.

It involves a lightweight daemon amavisd-snmp-subagent, which collects
statistics from amavisd statistics database in almost- real time, and presents
itself as na AgentX to a Net-SNMP daemon, which deals with the SNMP protocol.

We are using Cacti for monitoring a selection of these stats.
No need to parse log files.

See also
   http://www.amavis.org/amavis-2011.pdf
slide 90 and onwards.