On 04/10/2011 14:41, John Hardin wrote:
On Tue, 4 Oct 2011, Frank Leonhardt wrote:

So, doing this using the actual rule and an actual header it *does* work. It's only when its run through the milter that it fails to match.

Are you attempting to match the Received: header added by your MTA?

Your MTA may not have added the Received: header for the local hop at that point in the process (pre-delivery). You might want to ask on the support list for your MTA whether the local-hop Received: header is added for milters, and if it is, whether it looks different than the header actually added for final delivery.

Thanks John. I'm pretty sure that's exactly what's happening, but I'm at a dead end. I believe sendmail does add a Received header for the milter for the local hop (indeed, SA is finding stuff in the first line of it) but, assuming SA is unwrapping the header properly, it's clearly not the same as the one it finally ends up with.

There's a pretty good reason for wanting to examine the local header: to determine the authenticated user. I'd have thought someone else would have come up against this problem with Spamassassin, which why I'm asking here. The sendmail documentation is pretty non-specific about what kind of header it fakes up; it just says it fakes one.

If all else fails, I'll figure out how to write a milter and see for myself.

--
Sent from my Cray XT5