On 05/10/11 12:49, Henrik K wrote:
On Mon, Oct 03, 2011 at 01:59:59PM -0400, Alex B. wrote:

On 2011-10-03, at 6:08 AM, Simon Loewenthal <si...@klunky.co.uk> wrote:

Hi there,

   I have to set-up a few low power SA boxes. Currently I'm used to
using Intel Xeon 2.6Ghz with 16Gb of memory, but these proposed boxes
are small.  I won't buy one unless I know it can do the job.  I know the
figures below are tiny, but I don't know the Intel Atoms and what they
can really do.

# of active Email addresses (excluding Email aliases) : 80
# of messages (including rejected) appox 3,500 daily
running : Debian/ SA 3.3.1 and spamass-milter  (with MTA postfix,
clamav-milter).

hardware:
http://soekris.eu/shop/net6501_en/
1.6 Ghz Intel Atom E660  (1 core, 2 threads)
1024Mb RAM
Transcend mSATA SSD 32Gb MLC

Cheers for any commentary.

Best regards, Simon.

I would also recommend turning off as many network checks as possible in
SA due to redundant and blocking I/O taking up the majority of SA's
processing times.
What the FUD?

All default SA rules and functions use async DNS lookups. Processing time
might be little longer yes, but CPU usage averages the same.  You can run
more scans in parallel.

Of course there are some custom plugins out there that don't still use async
lookups.

There is no way I would disable these network checks!

To everyone who replied.  Thank-you very much for all of your useful suggestions.  Looks like the Soekris will do the job, although the precide model I want has not yet been released, and the BIOS is not ready (HyperThreading is unimplemented, but they told me that they'll get around to it.)

The Thomas-Krenn 1U 19" looks very nice [ http://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/server-systems/1u-rack-server/1u-intel-single-cpu/cse502-server-atom-d510.html ] and I am very tempted as has dual cores.  Sadly, the operating temperature range is 0-20C, and the Soekris is 0-60C.  I know that its possible that the box will have to handle a max of 40C on some rare days so the Thomas-Krenn should be discounted. Shame as its cheaper and powerful in comparison.

--
	Email  simon AT klunky DOT co DOT uk
	PGP is optional: 4BA78604