On 11/17, Marc Perkel wrote:
> for example, if the sending domain has no MX records of its own it
> is more likely spam that if there are 3 or more MX records that

There could be a useful correlation there, but I need to point out that if
a domain has no MX records, the correct thing to do is to send email to the
A record for the domain, and I've seen legit domains configured that way
and unwilling to change.  It's not even a violation of RFC.

> There might be other methods of detecting serious domains. If they
> are using expensive services. Spammers would not have their dns
> hosted with Ultra DNS, or use the expensive registrars, or other
> services that are expensive.

There *could* be something there.  I'm not familiar with Ultra DNS, but any
service provider that's known to be good about blocking customers for
spamming, it could be useful to detect the use of that provider, and use it
as a kind of white list.  Maybe even some network providers are better
about kicking off spammers than others?

I'll actually forward that idea along to the DNSWL folks for consideration
as criteria for whitelisting.

> Who thinks I'm onto something?

You could be.  Find out and let us know :)
The ASRG list is also generally interested in this type of discussion: