So does this mean SA should disable ALL network based tests by default as they all have the same potential to return false positives/negatives to get the attention of (abusive) sysadmins? About the only difference is dnswl.org got to hit folks with a -5 score whereas most others would have significantly less scoring impact available, but the potential threat is the same.
In the past, the RBL errors I can think of were less RBL policy and more RBLs going under where things such as registrars took over DNS and returned answers for every query.

However, the stability of an RBL and their infrastructure is a major concern for the SA project to consider an RBL for inclusion for just these type of reasons. There is a lot of debate concerning RBLs, their impact and their inclusion in SA.

I can understand the decision if dnswl.org have requested SA disable lookups by default, but otherwise it's a last resort attempt to get the attention of someone after all other reasonable efforts to communicate the issue have failed. I personally don't think it unreasonable.

Either way, I appreciate the heads up here so we (SA users) may make the decision whether or not to re-enable dnswl.org on our own setups.

As an aside, DNSWL most likely disagrees with disabling the rules by default in SA. However, it was an SA decision to do so in light of complaints of the rule misfiring on purpose due to over-quota policies for DNSWL.

Regards,
KAM