On 04/23/2012 06:40 AM, Jason Haar wrote:
> OT but related
>
> I just got a bunch of phishing attacks against a bank come through.
> Following the link leads me to some owned website with the fake bank
> frontend - and it had a feature that I've seen time and time again:
> images and links from the real banksite
>
> Why don't banks rub two braincells together and start monitoring the
> referrers on their primary webpages (eg logos, terms and conditions) and
> return a "RUN AWAY!!! IT'S A TRAP!!!" page whenever someone views the
> phishing sites? The Referrer header would allow that instantly
>
> They really don't give a damn do they...

Seems OK for existing clients who type the domain manually (or via a
bookmark). However, newly visiting clients might find the link via a
search engine, or (say) a site that contains a ranked list of the banks.
In the latter case, the referrer's domain name will not be that of the
bank's, and will likely trigger a false positive.

Boils down to risk management -- money to lose by being a victim, versus
that of turning new customers away due to the false positives.

--
Regards,
Mahmoud Khonji