On 11/29/12 14:46:25, David F. Skoll wrote:
> We greylist after the end of DATA.  This wastes bandwidth, but lets us
> use the Subject: line as an additional mix in the greylisting tuple.
> This catches ratware that retries in the face of greylisting, but
> mutates the subject line with each retry.

We use grey listing on our low volume server, and as others have
noted, it works well because a high percentage of spam bots do
not bother to retry.  But as others have mentioned, it can be
painful waiting for the delayed confirmation on a registration to a web
site to come in an hour/two later, or email from a new client
who is waiting on a response.

Since this is a Spam Assassin list: Is there a way of disabling
grey listing, but still receiving some benefit from the principle
that mail received from a first time or infrequent sender should
be looked upon with some suspicion?

Assume that either some to-be-implemented SA filter, or some
mail gateway front-end (like MIMEDefang), adds a new tag/two,
for example: SENDER_FIRST_RCPT, SENDER_LOW_FREQ,
SENDER_HI_FREQ, or SENDER_HI_AVE_SA_SCORE? All these tags
might be based upon some look back period (say: 90 days).

Theoretically, these new tags could be calculated after the fact
when passing through a spam corpus.  And since many/most grey
listing systems differentiate by some form of (sender, recipient)
pairing this analysis can be reliably/repeatably performed by an
SA plug-in at the point of delivery to the user, if needed.

It would need to be shown that these new tags improve
the ability to discriminate spam from ham.  If the scheme
worked well, there might be no need for grey listing at all.