ANNOUNCEMENT: update to ivmURI regarding surge in rarely-blacklisted domains
spammers use from legit site that are "compromised"

There has been a surge during the past couple of days in rarely-blacklisted
domains (as in, you see few of these blacklisted on SURBL/URIBL/DBL) ...where
the spammers used "compromised" sites which are normally legit sites. (maybe
the FTP password was cracked? or some other security hole exploited?) Likewise,
ivmURI was missing many of these because our FP-prevention-filters... which
normally prevent "decoy" domains or innocent domains from getting
blacklisted... were also causing many of these to be overlooked. (I suspect
that the same was happening with the other URI blacklists, since [it seems?]
even fewer of these were getting blacklisted on those other URI/domain
blacklists?)

This isn't new. For months, it has been on my mind to make some adjustments to
"surgically target" listing these types of domains... where our
FP-prevention-filters would then "back off" just a tad... yet in a very
"surgically targeted" way... so that these would start blacklisting, yet
without those changes to the filters suddenly causing many FPs, and where these
domains would also expire off of ivmURI faster--with the idea that the site
owners would probably find and fix their problem somewhat quickly. (we don't
want these to remain blacklisted weeks after the spam has ceased and the
security problem fixed)

Yes, this WILL cause a tiny bit of "collateral damage"... but my estimation is
that the ratio is off-the-chart GOOD! These are relatively minor sites. This
could potentially cause hundreds of thousands of spams blocked for every one
legit mail blocked. And if someone STILL has a problem with that ratio... then
my message to them is... the site owner should be somewhat held accountable for
their poor security--which is partly at fault for so much elusive spam making
it into inboxes! (and, again, these listings will expire MUCH faster than
regular ivmURI listings)

Many of these spams are especially elusive because the spammers then combine
the use of a somewhat legit domain... with sending from "freemail" servers, or
other legit mail servers which would cause far too much collateral damage if
blocked by IP. At best, this puts a HUGE burden on content filters. At worst,
many of these are slipping past many spam filters.

This major milestone improvement for ivmURI was implemented mere hours ago.
Here are some results... where these were added to the ivmURI list today:

http://dnsbl.invaluement.com/uri_surge.txt

NOTE: These are all domains impacted by this change. Unfortunately, many in
that list would been blacklisted on ivmURI anyways, without the changes... but
many domains in that list required this change to get listed on ivmURI. Also,
across the board, you'll also find very few in that list which are on ANY other
URI blacklists!

Questions/Feedback are welcome!

--
Rob McEwen