On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 5:00 PM, Mark Martinec <mark.martinec...@ijs.si>wrote:

> Anirudha,
>
> > So what should be the ideal setup of running binaries. I want Amavis
> > running both Spamprotection and ANtivirus protection, hence i have below
> > process running in current production
> > 1. Postfix MTA
> > 2. Amavisd
> > 3. Clamd
> > Should the spamd be running for spamprotection via amavis-new?
>
> To use Mail::SpamAssassin, you either use spamd as a front end,
> or amavisd as a front end, no need for both. The difference is
> in the protocol used between an MTA and a front end: in case
> of amavisd this is a standard SMTP (or LMTP) protocol;
> in case of spamd it is a dedicated spamc/spamd protocol, so
> typically you also need a spamc on the MTA side in this case.
>
> A content filter can be invoked by an MTA at the time of
> mail reception (before queue), or later after a message has
> already be accepted and queued (after queue). Each has its
> advantages and disadvantages. A before-queue setup is able
> to reject (not bounce) an undesired mail message, which is
> a very desired property, but is subject to much stricter
> timing constraints and resource usage proportional to peaks
> in mail traffic. An after-queue setup can process mail at
> leisure, but is unable to reject a mail - can only pass it
> or block it (or reroute it), or (heaven forbid) bounce it.
>
> See a Wikipedia article on Amavis:
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amavis
>
> To use a amavisd in a before-queue setup, a recent version
> of amavisd is needed (2.7.2 or 2.8.0), along with the
> latest version of Mail::SpamAssassin (3.3.2, or soon to
> come 3.4.0). Also a recent-ish version of Postfix is needed
> (2.7.0 or later) for its smtpd_proxy_options=speed_adjust
> option.

I have a stable running setup of postfix after-queue using amavis-new
[currently using for content inspection and antivirus only] and would like
to use this for additional spam protection.

As i understand from the above comments to my query, i dont need to run the
'spamd' as separate process, but would invoke the spamprotection via
amavis-new [via spamassasin perl moduled].
I would continue to install the latest version of spamassasin with existing
amavis-new and check if the same error is encountered.

Thank you Mark and Bailey