On 6/12/13 1:25 PM, "Alex" <mysqlstud...@gmail.com> wrote:

> John Hardin wrote:
>> As was suggested earlier: greylisting?
>
> I really don't think my users would tolerate the delay, so I've never
> implemented it. They would have vendors calling them on the phone
> complaining, not to mention users. From what I understand the delay
> can be multiple minutes, correct?

Yes, but only for the first message.  Once you've proved that they are a
real mail-server greylisting is pretty pointless.

>I'd imagine there's support for
> whitelisting an IP after receiving multiple messages over some
> extended period?

Yes, once a machine has gone through greylisting successfully, it is added
to the white list.

> Is it something suitable for an environment with a
> few hundred thousand messages per day?

In my opinion, yes, but you have to watch out for systems that need to be
exempted from grey-listing.  Mostly large pools of outbound servers like
Microsoft Live and gmail.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281