On 8/19/2013 7:31 AM, John Hardin wrote:
On Sun, 18 Aug 2013, Len Conrad wrote:

Came up with a cool trick that seems to be working well after running for several months.

I do the same by harvesting the IPs that fail SMTP AUTH a number of times, and then if more than a number of IPs in a ClassC, I block the entire ClassC.

I do the same with postscreen/pregreet IPs and ClassC.

Have you considered TCP Tarpitting instead of just blocking them?

Blocking them doesn't actually *punish* them. Getting their MTAs *stuck* for hours or days does.

I doubt their MTA stay stuck for long. But I do take in their whole message. And I don't let them know they are blocked so I'm just wasting their bandwidth. But it's added about 1/4 of a million IPs to my blacklist.

--
Marc Perkel - Sales/Support
supp...@junkemailfilter.com