>Operators of newsgroups which mirror/archive mailing
>lists, and allow posting from a web interface, are adding forged
>server.

In what way are they forged? Do they contain addresses that doesn't match the
system adding the received-line or the system it received the message from?

>In both cases the last two Received: headers in each message are
>forgeries as no SMTP transaction occurred.

Does those headers say that a SMTP transaction occurred? If they don't, what is
forced?

I'm not sure server you mean "last in insertion order" or "last in reading
order" so I'll answer for both. :-)

Insertion order:

>       (envelope-from <gldu-debian-use...@m.gmane.org>)
>       id 1VVzEY-0005lJ-P1
>       for debian-u...@lists.debian.org; Tue, 15 Oct 2013 09:40:02 +0200

This one says it was received locally without using SMTP. This is normal when a
message is sent/queued by a local application.

>       (using TLSv1 with cipher AES256-SHA (256/256 bits))
>       (Client did not present a certificate)
>       by bendel.debian.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 7DD8CA6
>       for <debian-u...@lists.debian.org>; Tue, 15 Oct 2013 07:40:05 +0000
>(UTC)

This one says nothing says that the message was received with a ESMTP. Do you
know that it wasn't?

Reading order:

>        by main.gmane.org with esmtp (Gmexim 0.1 (Debian))
>        id 1AlnuQ-0007hv-00
>    for <debian-u...@lists.debian.org>; Sun, 13 Oct 2013 19:40:43 +0200

This one says it was received with ESMTP. Again, do you know it wasn't?

>        id 1AlnuQ-0007hv-00
>    for <debian-u...@lists.debian.org>; Sun, 13 Oct 2013 19:40:43 +0200

This one says it was received locally without SMTP. This is perfectly normal if
it was received from a local application, for example a web server running a
PHP script or a gateway fetching messaging from something else.

>I'm sure this violates more
>than one SMTP RFC, but I doubt Gmane will change the way they do this
>any time soon.

I don't think it does. Trace headers are useful for mail regardless of the
protocol used for the transfers between systems/applications, and are defined
in the Internet Mail Format RFCs (822 descendants,  not sure what the current
one is but if you start at 2822 you should be able to find it).

(Also, does the SMTP RFCs really apply when your not using SMTP?)

Regards
/jonas
--
 Monypholite gemgas.