On 05/02/2014 09:28 PM, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
I'm looking at compiling the SA rules to get a measurement of the
difference in SA timing to reduce delivery times for our email.  I had a
couple of questions first though:

a) I assume that there's no issue uncommenting loadplugin
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Rule2XSBody even if I'm not using compiled
rules.

b) This statement is very vague, so I don't really know what the
practical implications are: "re2c can match strings much faster than
perl code, by constructing a DFA to match many simple strings in
parallel, and compiling that to native object code. Not all SpamAssassin
rules are amenable to this conversion, however."

Does this mean that:
1) The non-amenable rules are never processed?

nope  - they'll run anyway, goto 2)

2) The non-amenable rules are processed, but may be slower than if they
weren't compiled?

yep

3) ?

3) only body/rawbody rules are compiled - IMO, unless you have a huge amount of custom bod/rawbody rules it's hardly worth it.

If you have processing lag, first I'd look into
- slow network checks (PYZOR/RAZOR)
- large file based Bayes DB
- frequent Bayes auto expiration
- slow I/= - lack of RAM

Depends where you're connected, certain network tests can be extremely slow.