On Thu, 15 May 2014, James B. Byrne wrote:

I have to wonder how soon after creation new domains are added to the fresh lists.

That's a good question. The only way I can see to maintain such a list is if you have a registrar data feed, and I don't know what the latency in that is. I would *assume* it's pretty prompt otherwise you'd see a lot of instances of the two people registering the same domain name at the same time.

Of course, if they aren't registrars they may not be able to get a feed like that and may have to use some other means to get notified of new domain registrations, which would increase the latency. Also, a registrar data feed like that probably costs, to the point that a totally-free RBL would *have* to use higher-latency alternate means.

At this point I would be willing to implement a rule to block all domains
registered with that registrar and be done with it.  Is there a spamassassin
whois plug-in that can parse and check the registrar and the domain creation
date?

There is but it's only experimental and its use for more than testing is NOT recommended.

Absent a registrar data feed the only way to get that data is via whois, and whois query traffic like that would likely be considered abusive and get you blocked.

If you're interested, look here: http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/antispam/registrar_scoring/

  Liberals love sex ed because it teaches kids to be safe around their
  sex organs. Conservatives love gun education because it teaches kids
  to be safe around guns. However, both believe that the other's
  education goals lead to dangers too terrible to contemplate.
 715 days since the first successful private support mission to ISS (SpaceX)