I have a CentOS 6 postfix + dovecot + mysql (for vmail) + spamassassin (user prefs via mysql) server that I've been running for a few years now. It's just a few of my private domains, not a lot of traffic. In the last 6 months, the amount of spam getting through has gone from one or two a week to 30 a day. I had sa-learn setup on imap folders called SPAM and HAM running as root, so I just started tossing emails in there. It seemed like I had groups of emails around 2, 0, -1, and -2 (my threshold to dump to my JUNK folder is 3, and I have spamchk sideline things above 7). I still get legitimate email in the 2-3 range, but I haven't had legitimate email above 3 in a long time. After a bit, the 2s became 3s and the 0s became 1s, but the -1 and -2 spam emails stayed put. I did this habitually for more than a month, and the progress seemed to stop. I googled around a bit and realized that I didn't do a very good job setting up rules, so I added pyzor and razor2, and they seem functional. Spam got better, and it's down to maybe 10 a day, but they still range all the way up to 5.

What really gets me is that if I take an email that scores -2, strip the X-Spam* headers, and run it through spamc by hand (even as the spamd user) just like the spamchk script does, it scores around a 4. I have one here that scores a 4.1 if it comes through the mail, and a 6.6 if I run it manually. What can I do to reconcile these scores? I would like the scores I'm getting from the commandline over the ones I'm getting through postfix, but I don't know the system well enough to know what is causing the difference.

================== Via postfix

 pts rule name              description
 1.1 INVALID_DATE           Invalid Date: header (not RFC 2822)
-0.0 SPF_PASS               SPF: sender matches SPF record
0.0 HTML_IMAGE_RATIO_08 BODY: HTML has a low ratio of text to image area
 1.5 BAYES_60               BODY: Bayes spam probability is 60 to 80%
                            [score: 0.6298]
 0.7 MIME_HTML_ONLY         BODY: Message only has text/html MIME parts
0.8 RDNS_NONE Delivered to internal network by a host with no rDNS

================ Via commandline (cat test.mail | sudo -u spamd /usr/bin/spamc -u <myemail> > postsa.mail) X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.3.1 (2010-03-16) on kai2.gnukai.com

 pts rule name              description
 1.1 INVALID_DATE           Invalid Date: header (not RFC 2822)
-0.0 SPF_PASS               SPF: sender matches SPF record
 2.5 URIBL_DBL_SPAM         Contains an URL listed in the DBL blocklist
                            [URIs: fellage.me]
 1.5 BAYES_60               BODY: Bayes spam probability is 60 to 80%
                            [score: 0.6299]
 0.7 MIME_HTML_ONLY         BODY: Message only has text/html MIME parts
0.8 RDNS_NONE Delivered to internal network by a host with no rDNS

================ /etc/mail/spamassassin.cf (I added the last 4 lines in a desperate attempt to see something change, but to no effect)
/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
# These values can be overridden by editing ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs.cf
# (see spamassassin(1) for details)

# These should be safe assumptions and allow for simple visual sifting
# without risking lost emails.

required_hits 5.0
report_safe 1
rewrite_header Subject [***SPAM***]
add_header all Status _YESNO_, score=_SCORE_ required=_REQD_ tests=_TESTS_ autolearn=_AUTOLEARN_ version=_VERSION_
trusted_networks 69.160.84.222
razor_config /etc/mail/spamassassin/.razor/razor-agent.conf
pyzor_options --homedir /etc/mail/spamassassin
auto_learn 0
use_razor2
use_dcc
use_pyzor