On 6/9/2014 11:34 AM, Bowie Bailey wrote:
On 6/9/2014 3:47 AM, Ben Stover wrote:
As far as I found out SpamAssassin calculates the spam score and puts the value into the email header.

What is the maximum range of the score?

or other?

There are no limits on the score. The higher the score, the more likely the email is spam and the lower the score, the more likely it is to be non-spam. Looking through the last month's worth of logs on my server, I see scores ranging from -98 to 101.

Is there a statistic for an average email account how much emails get which score?

In other words is there something like a gaussian distribution graphic visualisation?

That would be different on every server depending on what type of spam and ham you see and which rule sets you are running. I graphed mine out of curiosity and it forms a reasonable bell curve from -14 to 40 peaking at about 9. Although there is an odd spike sticking up from -3 to 1 for some reason (and a rather large spike at 0).

I'm not a statistics guy, so I can't give you all the distribution numbers -- and, as I said, it will likely differ a fair amount between installations.

Are you just looking for general information, or is there something you are trying to determine? If you tell us what you are looking for, we may be able to give you some better answers.

That spike around zero is going to be your typical boring ham. It passes SPF and some other minor ham rules, and hits very very minor spam rules, if any.