On Mon, June 9, 2014 15:35, Patrick Domack wrote:

> I guess what would need to be hammered out, is, the exact info wanted.
> We know age, and registrar. Though doing the registrar isn't so
> simple, as the same for just ENOM changes between tld, and even within
> a single tld (likely from the mergers they had).

My investigations of the domains used against us revealed that all of the
handful checked were between 4 and 20 hours old when first encountered by our
servers.

It would suffice I think to have a negative lookup RTBL service where if a
domain is not listed therein then may be considered as new, at least insofar
as mailing traffic is concerned.  The registrar and the age of the domain need
not concern us overmuch at the outset of a spam attack. What is more important
to know is whether the domain has been seen by others before and how long
before so that the information in DOB and SEM can be considered in that light.

Lookup domains may be added as and when they are encountered albeit after some
delay and only if some threshold of volume and distinct number of enquiring
hosts is passed.  A graded approach is probably called for with one listing a
previously unseen domain only after 24 hours from the first enquiry, one only
after 48, and so on.  Of course, the domains in question need to be verified
before being added.  And other precautions are no doubt necessary to avoid
poisoning or advance loading subversion attempts.

Comments?

James B. Byrne                mailto:byrn...@harte-lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3