pardon me, but spamass-milter uses spamc, so pyzor is called from spamd.
That means, the above should apply for spamd, not spamass-milter.

The issue seems to be spamc (and thus pyzor) running as the recipient user, when the message is actually to a postfix alias. It's supposed to be running as a fallback user in this case, whose servers file has 666 permissions. But strace shows it getting a "permission denied" error. Go figure.

Anyway, I've had about enough of dealing with SA/SAM flakiness. It's working now, more or less. And so I'm leaving this stack the way it is. And I'll probably be outsourcing for a spam control stack that really works stably, reliably, and well.

-Steve