On 07/16/2014 12:04 AM, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
--On Tuesday, July 15, 2014 3:52 PM -0700 Dave Warren
<da...@hireahit.com> wrote:

Are you saying that if you perform something like "dig @8.8.8.8
asdfalksdflk.example.com a", Rackspace intercepts the packet on port 53
and does something with it?

Right

And it's taken them since October to resolve it?
And you still pay for this service?
Or is there more going on than is immediately obvious here?

I honestly don't blame Rackspace for this specific problem.  It has more
to do with the environment as ordered by our IT department, and getting
them to understand why the environment as-is is a problem, has been the
difficulty.  That has finally been done.

I'm guessing it's an ultra smart IDS system which intercepts OUTGOING floods of UDP traffic and treats them like attacks.

Both Pyzor and DNS require UDP. Not sure about Razor.

One manual lookup might work, but when a msg comes in, there's a little flood and your friends don't like it .