On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 6:08 AM, Matteo Dessalvi <mte...@yahoo.it> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Thanks for all the answers. I am afraid I was being naive.
> I was explicitly thinking of a scenario like this: filter as
> much as possible 'unsolicited email' sent by some (possibly)
> 'infected' account.
>
> I thought that turning off the bayesian classifier (and the
> RBL checks) would still let me able to catch the occasional
> spam email. Of course there's already a ClamAV filtering
> system for all the outgoing email.
>
> In the past week one of our outgoing SMTP server was blacklisted
> for 12 hours (just to be clear: it was not SpamHaus).
> Unfortunately, looking at the logs did not give me any clues: there
> were no spikes of bulk sending email to thousands of users or
> anything particularly suspicious. And the black list manager did
> not provide any additional information about the incident.

I have the same kind of setup. I only scan outgoing email in case of a
compromised account being used to send spam. Last attack,
Amavis/Spamassassin blocked 83% of all outgoing spams ( 2390 passed out of
13938 ) so you can have some OK results even without using
bayes/RBL/SPF/DKIM checkup. DCC and URIBL help a lot. I still want/need to
go over 90%+ blocked.

Karl