Ian Zimmerman <i...@buug.org> wrote:
> Eric Wong <e...@80x24.org> wrote:
>
> Eric> I always thought inotify was an obvious way to train for anybody
> Eric> using Maildirs on Linux, so I set it up for my server and
> Eric> basically forgot about it since it worked well.  Fast forward to
> Eric> 2014 and I realize what I do is not widespread.  I figure I'll
> Eric> attempt to document things here to a wider audience on this
> Eric> sa-users list and hopefully help other users out.
>
> Isn't inotify a bit of overkill for this?  If you have a dedicated
> maildir for training, you know that anything in maildir/new is, uh,
> new.  So you process it and move it to maildir/cur.  What am I missing?

What Karsten said; I only train messages I've seen ("S" flag set in the
path).

inotify lets me train messages without doing anything special in my
client: I just move messages around to the right folder, marking them as
read if needed (when the Subject is obviously spam and I do not need to
read the body).  This is transparent enough to allow me to forget about
it for 6 years :)