Hi,

Please use plain-text rather than HTML. In particular with that really
bad indentation format of quoting.

It doesn't seem possible with gmail directly any longer, so I've set up
thunderbird for this. Maybe it is, but not after clicking around in the obvious
places.

It's possible.  A little googling reveals how:

When composing a message (or reply), click the little downward-facing triangle on the
bottom right of the compose box (next to the trash can).  From the pop-up menu, click
"plain text mode."

Haven't tried it personally, but seems like it should work as advertised.

That looks like it, thanks. I figured it would be with the rest of the fonts and formatting section. It's a per-message thing, though. It was just easier to set up Thunderbird anyway.

Thanks,
Alex