From: Mark London [mailto:m...@psfc.mit.edu]
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2014 2:59 PM
To: users@spamassassin.apache.org
Subject: Re: Spamassasin not as effective anymore

On 9/29/2014 12:58 PM, Mark London wrote:
On 9/29/2014 4:21 AM,
users-digest-h...@spamassassin.apache.org<mailto:users-digest-h...@spamassassin.apache.org>
 wrote:
From:
Lorenzo Thurman <lore...@thethurmans.com><mailto:lore...@thethurmans.com>

Date:
9/26/2014 10:59 PM

I've been using spamassasin for a number of years with excellent results. But,
now over the last month or so, it has been scoring spam very low. It still
catches most spam, but whereas only about a dozen or so might get through to my
inbox in a week, I'm suddenly getting a dozen or so a day. I run sa-update via
cron every dat and I have a special mail folder where I place missed spam and
run sa-learn against it weekly. I know its an arms race out there fighting
spam, but here some sample subject lines  with SA's scores that I think should
be caught. I know spamassasin looks at a lot more than subject lines, but Does
anyone know what I can do to increase spamassasin's ability to detect spam? My
threshold is set to 4.6.

"Complete Our Survey, qualify for free-samples" 4.1

"Re: Your Score-Changes on: 09/26/2014*" 2.9

"Weird 30 second trick cURES Diabetes.." 4.1

"Quality Window Replacement Deals" 4.4

"Find a PhD degree online in the specialty field" 2.8

"Your background check is Available online" 2.4

"Perfect vision with one weird trick" 0.0

What are the From: addresses in those spam emails?  We have been recently
inundated from spam using domains such as .eu and .co    The IP names that the
spammers are using, are constantly changing, so that the URIBLs are not able to
keep up with them. you've had to add customized rules that increases the spam
scores, for emails from these and other domains, that are now popular with
spammers.

I meant to say "I've had to add...", not "you've had to add..."

- Mark

We have also seen an increase in unmarked spam (from 95% to maybe 20%).  Last
night I did a dump of my bayes DB, which was 10 months since we reset it and
started the training process again with 3k know spams and 1k known hams and
we're hitting 95% again.
It seems that enough hammy looking ones got trained automagically and the
snowball effect happened.
YMMV

Gary