Hi,

>   /usr/local/bin/sa-update && /usr/local/bin/sa-compile &&
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/sa-spamd restart
>
> the  only time spamd would restart is if sa-update AND sa-compile were
> successfully completed, correct?

Sorry for jumping in the conversation... I have solved that issue by
calling sa-update from a script (perl) and I do a spamassassin -lint
before ever trying to restart spamd (or amavisd in my case), so I am
sure that I will only restart on something clean.

That way, I can also update some rules that are not on sa-update.

And in any case, send myself an email if something went wrong.

Being executed only once a day, the extra load of a Perl script is
neglectible.

Best regards,

Olivier