On Oct 17, 2014, at 9:53 AM, Michael Opdenacker
<michael.opdenac...@free-electrons.com> wrote:

> On 09/01/2014 01:39 AM, LuKreme wrote:
>> On 31 Aug 2014, at 14:38 , Ian Zimmerman <i...@buug.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Doesn't ok_languages and ok_locales do the job?  It does for me.
>> Not with UTF-8 encoding, that setting only seems to apply to old-stye
>> character declarations.
>>

> This was exactly my point. As long as characters are in utf-8,
> ok_locales doesn't trigger. And ok_languages needs a sufficient number
> of characters to trigger. A subject with only Chinese characters in
> UTF-8 isn't enough.
>
> Michael.

I explicitly add 10.0 to messages with charset of GB2312.  Unfortunately, a lot
of Chinese engineers use clients that still use this charset as the default,
and post to English language mailing lists.

There used to be a recommendation that MUA’s fit messages into the “smallest”
encoding possible (smallest from the metric of how many characters it holds),
i.e. USASCII, Latin1, UTF8.  Period.

Thus Chinese posters of legitimate messages to English language mailing lists
would use USASCII or Latin1 (if replying to someone named André).

I don’t understand why Apple’s Mail.app, for instance, defaults to Win-1252
here in the US. That’s braindead.

Apple won’t bundle Flash with MacOS because it’s not an Open Standard, but
they’ll embrace a vendor-specific character code when a superior Open Standard
encoding exists.  Go figure.

-Philip