Hey!

> On Oct 28, 2014, at 10:51 AM, Thomas Preißler <tho...@preissler.me> wrote:
>

> Hey Mark,
>

>> Do you have a firewall in place that tries to do a deep packet
>> inspection
>> on DNS UDP packets but does not understand EDNS0 (the OPT RR) ?
>>

> thanks for the suggestion!
> Unfortunately, the network is not the culprit. I tried to apply my chef
> recipes to a virtual machine on my desktop computer (different network) and
> get the same message from spamassassin. But when I try to install debian
> wheezy, spamassassin and unbound manually I’m not able to reproduce this
> issue anymore. There must be any package or configuration option in my chef
> recipes that causes spamassassin to fail the DNS lookup. I’ll further
> investigate this issue tomorrow.

It looks like the problem appears only with the package libmail-dkim-perl and
some nameservers.
If I uninstall this package or use 8.8.8.8 as the DNS server I don’t get the
message “spf: lookup failure” anymore.

The response of the two mail servers seems to be pretty much the same. There is
just a very small difference if you ask for the dnssec signature: "dig @ip SPF
mail.sys4.de +dnssec"
156.154.70.1 shows "EDNS: version: 0, flags: do; udp: 4096"

8.8.8.8 shows “EDNS: version: 0, flags: do; udp: 512"

Finally, I’m able to reproduce this issue on a plain debian wheezy system:
- install debian wheezy
- enable backports and run apt-get update
- apt-get -t wheezy-backports install spamassassin
- apt-get install libmail-dkim-perl
- set 156.154.70.1 as the only nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf
- run spamassassin -D < mail.eml

But removing libmail-dkim-perl is not really a solution. This package provides
the Mail::DKIM module which is required to check the DKIM signature.

Thanks!
Thomas

Sent with Unibox