On 10/28/2014 5:31 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

Am 29.10.2014 um 01:23 schrieb Ted Mittelstaedt:
I think that one of the things that up and coming Linux admins are
supposed to do is write a "Procmail is dead" article and post it
somewhere. It sure seems like it there's enough of them out there.

Procmail isn't dead. However, the Procmail website is simply in
an awful and atrocious state. It has been at least a half a decade
since the server the website is on stopped hosting the distro, which
is frankly ridiculous. OK I get that the domain owner doesn't want
to spring the money for the bandwidth but there are better ways to
handle it than an HTTP error. I also get that the domain owner isn't
interested in fixing his HTML. OK whatever.

There's a lot of distributions that include Procmail and lots and
lots of people using it. There's still people writing patches for
it for their distros. Yes it lacks a maintainer which is a shame.

But it is even more shameful that RedHat and the other pay distributions
aren't stepping up and picking up maintenance of it

frankly in times of LMTP and Sieve there is hardly a need to use
procmail - it is used because "i know it and it just works" - so why
should somebody step in and maintain it while nobody is forced to use it

From my understanding (as I don't use Dovecot and Sieve) you cannot pipe
mail from the Sieve implementation into other programs, once Sieve is
done with it, that's it.  Right there that's a non-starter for me, I'm
afraid.

I'm a Unixy brat.  Procmail is unixy, some of these more recent
Linux bits of software are more Windows than Unix.  Ignoring pipes
is very bad, if I wanted greasy kid stuff software I'd run Windows
on my servers.

As for why should someone maintain it, people already maintain it -
the distros maintain their "versions" You want a single maintainer
to coordinate patches so people aren't re-inventing the wheel.

Ted