On Oct 28, 2014 at 22:10 -0400, David F. Skoll wrote:
=>On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 01:31:51 +0100
=>Reindl Harald <h.rei...@thelounge.net> wrote:
=>
=>> frankly in times of LMTP and Sieve there is hardly a need to use
=>> procmail - it is used because "i know it and it just works" - so why
=>> should somebody step in and maintain it while nobody is forced to use
=>> it
=>
=>I use Email::Filter, not procmail, but tell me: Can LMTP and Sieve do
=>the following?

Disclaimer: I have not created/tested/working sieve rules for the
following, so YMMV. :)

=>1) Cc: mail containing a specific header to a certain address, but only
=>between 08:00-09:00 or 17:00-21:00.

Sieve: Yes, see first example in section 5.1 of RFC 5260 - Sieve Email
Filtering: Date and Index Extensions
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5260.txt>

=>2) Archive mail in a folder called Received-Archive/YYYY-MM.

Sieve: Yes, see second to last example in section 5.1 of RFC 5260 -
Sieve Email Filtering: Date and Index Extensions
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5260.txt>

=>3) Take mail to a specific address, shorten it by replacing things
=>like "four" with "4", "this" with "dis", etc. and send as much of the
=>result as possible as a 140-character SMS message?  Oh, and only do
=>this if the support calendar says that I am on the support pager that
=>week.

Sieve: Substring substitution - Yes, See RFC 5229 - Sieve: Variables
Extension <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5229.txt> along with RFC 5703 -
Sieve Email Filtering: MIME Part Tests, Iteration, Extraction,
Replacement, and Enclosure <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5703.txt>

Looking up who is on call, see RFC 6134 - Sieve Extension: Externally
Stored Lists <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc6134.txt>.  I don't see an
example doing a call out to a CalDAV server, but see section 2.9.2 -
Example 2 where it references a holiday calendar list.

=>4) Take the voicemail notifications produced by our Asterisk
=>software and replace the giant .WAV attachment with a much
=>smaller .MP3 equivalent.

Sieve: RFC 6558 - Sieve Extension for Converting Messages before Delivery
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc6558.txt>.

=>These are all real-world requirements that my filter fulfills.  And it
=>does most of them without forking external processes.  (Item 3
=>actually consults a calendar program to see who's on support, but the
=>rest are all handled in-process.)

Now, the part left open is finding a sieve implementation that supports
these extensions. :)

Derek Diget                            Office of Information Technology
Western Michigan University - Kalamazoo  Michigan  USA - www.wmich.edu/