I saw a post somewhere that said SA will scan those pre-determined folders
for any .cf or .pre files, then automatically load those rules.  I deleted
the leftover 'openprotect' files and folder, restarted SA, re-ran my
diagnostic command and the only rules being referenced now are the current
'updates_spamassassin_org'

So I think I was running both sets of rules, probably with unpredictable
results!  I went back and looked at some of the ham which had been labeled
'Suspected Spam' and I could see that they'd been flagged by a 'SARE' rule,
which I know is one of the old ones.  This leads me to think I have
succeeded in eliminating some false positives, at least.