First, apologies in advance, I know this list is for seasoned users. I'm a
consumer—not an administrator by any means—but posting here in hopes that
the SA focus of the list will provide a clear answer.

I'm on a shared web hosting plan and receiving an inordinate amount of very
obvious spam. SA is enabled and email is being scanned and scored
accordingly. The problem is the scores are too low (1-2) and consequently no
mail management is being triggered, messages then hit my inbox.

If I paste these same Spam mails into an online check service, they trigger
a handful of tests that my web host's SA install seems to ignore or miss.
The difference is steep, with messages scoring a range of 4 to 14 points
higher, which correctly equates to the majority of the spam. These tests are
comprised mostly of checks against trustworthy blocklists.

Where I'm confused: Is this an obvious sign that the web host isn't updating
SA appropriately, or is it normal the test reports don't match? Am I
misunderstanding the scoring system?

After months of back and forth with the web host, their recommendation has
been to add rules and do more intensive SA learning. But the way I
understand it, no amount of tweaking symbolic test scores or adding rules
can make up for not running the tests to begin with. Without having root
access to the SA install, can I even influence which tests are applied?

If not, my only option is to leave my host for a service that keeps their SA
install updated. Your insight here will help me confidently make that
decision.

Example of the difference in output:
http://pastebin.com/ph6wZw2R

Thanks very much for your help!