On Thu, 16 Apr 2015, Marieke Janssen wrote:

On 2015-04-16 19:08, Richard Troy wrote:
 postfix/smtpd[18151]: warning: connect to Milter service
 unix:/run/spamass-milter/postfix/sock: No such file or directory

Postfix probably tries to read /var/spool/postfix/run/spamass-milter/postfix/sock as I do believe the path is relative to the spool directory.

OK, I'll check that, thanks.

I don't know exactly about ownership and file modes as I don't use spamass-milter myself, but I would suggest a simplefied version of the path you choose, unix:/spamass-milter/postfix.sock

OK, again thanks, will try.

You have to create the directory yourself, including the right ownership/rights.

Um... How do I creat the "sock" part? mksock doesn't exist on this distribution. Is it a bit like an NFS mount directory? Create an entry and the software takes it over somehow?

(both postfix as spamass-milter needs access, how exactly is left to the exercise of the reader:-))

Don't forget to update the milter config accordingly to the full path, /var/spool/postfix/spamass-milter/postfix.sock

I know where this is on the Postfix side; to which of the many config directories - and which parameter - shall I be updating, please?

Also please note my upate to this query (I replied to my own email with additional data) wherein I had noticed that spamd was reporting its socket, so I tried pluging that into an attempt at smtpd_milter, and got SOME dialogue between the two systems, but with copious errors - and I reported those errors. . . So, there's more to this than meets the eye. It's almost as if one package is looking for a socket and the other is looking for, maybe, a network port? ...See my other mail for more data.

 I DO NOTE, however, that there's something called spamd ... I have NOT
 touched it per se; instead, I've started "spamassassin.service" (with
 systemctl) and when I check status, it says:

spamd is the daemonized version of spamassassin, spamc is the client, the milter uses spamc to connect to spamd.

I see - I got PART of that from working with it a little - thanks for the clarification.

Good luck,
/MJ

Thanks MJ! Looks like I need some!

Richard