On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 22:42:09 -0400
Bill Cole wrote:

> On 22 Jun 2015, at 21:45, Michael B Allen wrote:

> > So with a default install (CentOS 7 in my case and I suspect pretty
> > much all other systems), bayes will NOT just work by default unless
> > you explicitly modify /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf to tell
> > sa-learn to use the bayes db owned by spamd
> > (/var/log/spamassassin/.spamassassin/bayes in my case) and NOT the
> > one owned by root?

> Don't do that, ever, on any regular file, on any system that has
> processes running as more than just root. I know it's in the SA Wiki,
> but it's an irresponsible recommendation.

The default is that spamd starts as root and its children  drop
privileges  and run as the user running spamc. Running spamc as root is
the source of the myth that SA by default stores its data under /root.

spamd can also start as root and then drop  to the unprivileged user
once it's bound to its port.

I don't know the wiki passage you are referring to, but I'd be surprised
if it's actually advocating doing mail scans as root.