Hello list, dear Marc!

I had have a "little problem" with a mailsystem.

A few days agoe a colleague received over 200 bounce-messages and this
over 10 minutes. O.K., that was all backscatter from a software-company
in Redmond :( All those messages had have an attachment (zip archive)
with maleware.

A few minutes I was shocked, 'cause how could all AMaVis-hosts at
customer site, transport maleware in a zip-archive?! So, I tried to send
a new mail, with this zip-archive to all of our 5 MX and nowhere it was
possible to trespass our borderfilters. :)

So I tried to understand, why our AMaVis's allowed those faked
bounce-messages with mailware.

The only thing I found was those maillog-entries:

Sep  8 13:17:10 amavis-cluster-by amavis[23088]: (23088-10) bounce
rescued by domain (DSN), <> -> <redac...@example.com>, date: Tue, 8 Sep
2015 12:41:24 +0200, from: Rosenbaum Group <redac...@example.com>,
message-id: <hdmuibrrpv7zej2q0r2t...@example.com>, return-path:
redac...@example.com

"bounce rescued by domain (DSN)"? What's that? So I tried to ask google,
wether or not there are existing news known by others.

The only things I found was:
https://www.mail-archive.com/amavis-user@lists.sourceforge.net/msg11245.
html
http://sourceforge.net/p/amavis/mailman/amavis-user/thread/201010051713.
38050.ste...@localside.net/
and
http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/

" ... bounce killer feature (requires pen pals SQL logging) checks a
header section attached to received non-delivery status notifications,
and discards bounces to fake mail which do not refer to our genuine
outgoing mail;"

I'm not so fimilar with this, how p@trick told it "spam and maleware
over backscatter as esoteric problem ;)", and your "bounce killer
feature". May you tell me a few more points, what this feature can do
and if it the right point, to ban those attacks? Or there exists an
unknown feature for banning attachments (i.e. zip-archives with
maleware)? Every hint is useful!

On AMaViS 2.10 have you marked "do_ascii":

@decoders = (
  ['mail', \&do_mime_decode],
# [[qw(asc uue hqx ync)], \&do_ascii],  # not safe

In RELEASE_NOTES you wrote:
- amavisd.conf: commented-out calls to do_ascii to match defaults in the
  amavisd program; the uulib code (as invoked by Convert::UUlib) has a
  history of stability problems, seems it is causing more grief compared
  to the benefits it brings;

Safe or stability? What happens if I activate this encoder for
recognize those faked bounces? Is the prize high?

Thanx4help! Have a nice day!

Django

--
"Bonnie & Clyde der Postmaster-Szene!" approved by Postfix-God
http://wetterstation-pliening.info