One of my servers received a spam message which SA missed, with the following report:

 pts rule name              description
---- ---------------------- -------------------------------------------------- 0.0 FREEMAIL_FROM Sender email is commonly abused enduser mail provider
                            (noreply[at]live.com)
 1.5 BAYES_50               BODY: Bayes spam probability is 40 to 60%
                            [score: 0.4993]
 2.0 PYZOR_CHECK            Listed in Pyzor (http://pyzor.sf.net/)
0.0 UNPARSEABLE_RELAY Informational: message has unparseable relay lines -0.4 AWL AWL: Adjusted score from AWL reputation of From: address

After learning the messages as spam into bayes with sa-learn, I get the following report:

 pts rule name              description
 4.9 BAYES_99               BODY: Bayes spam probability is 99 to 100%
                            [score: 1.0000]
0.0 FREEMAIL_FROM Sender email is commonly abused enduser mail provider
                            (noreply[at]live.com)
 8.0 BAYES_999              BODY: Bayes spam probability is 99.9 to 100%
                            [score: 1.0000]
 2.0 PYZOR_CHECK            Listed in Pyzor (http://pyzor.sf.net/)
0.0 UNPARSEABLE_RELAY Informational: message has unparseable relay lines -6.1 AWL AWL: Adjusted score from AWL reputation of From: address

Luckily the message is now flagged as spam because I have manually turned up the score on my BAYES_99 and BAYES_999 awhile ago. But what intrigues me is that now the AWL module gives it a -6.1 score. Why would AWL now tilt things heavily towards ham, after the message has just been learned as spam? It seems to be making things worse instead of better. Unless I am misunderstanding what AWL is supposed to be doing?