If that problem ever gets solved, blind users of the internet could do two useful things; first read things faster, and prevent lots of images from taking up user quota space. Those blind that can hear would not want audio content in video or audio files filtered out though.

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015, Bill Cole wrote:

Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 01:07:55
From: Bill Cole <sausers-20150...@billmail.scconsult.com>
To: users@spamassassin.apache.org
Subject: Re: Looking for a script to extract readable text from emails

On 28 Dec 2015, at 23:16, Marc Perkel wrote:

I'm looking for a script to extract readable text from emails. I want it demimed, ignore html, images, etc. What I'm looking for is just the readable text (real words). Mostly just need to extract about the first 200 characters of real text.

You might be able to adapt or wrap the mimeprint script from the examples includes in the Perl MIME-Tools package. It can disassemble and decode all parts of a message for you.

Of course, there's no guarantee that a message *has* a meaningful text body, or that the text part of a multipart/alternative message resembles what a common MUA will show a user by rendering the HTML part.