Am 04.02.2016 um 20:00 schrieb Reindl Harald:
Am 04.02.2016 um 19:51 schrieb Alan Hodgson:
On Thursday, February 04, 2016 07:41:44 PM Reindl Harald wrote:
which people don't know this?
admins?
don't maintain services then!

users?

just use the SMTP server your mailprovider tells you and no other one
and for smtp-admins: just don't accept enevlope senders for which you
would not accept incoming mail

that is as easy as something can be

Yeah, it's really really not.

it is

I'm in a 50 person company and we have our internal mail server, 3
different
ESPs sending mail on our behalf for diffferent applications, Google
calendar
sending on our behalf, and 2 different SAAS customer service platforms
sending
as us. I can't even imagine how many different sources a large company
has.

normally all that "on our behalf" are using their own envelope and the
From-Header, this applies to Google and all legit mass-senders

if it's not mass-senders nothing easier than tell a MTA to relay over
the correct MTA including authentication, that's what we do for many
years when we send "on behalf" of a customer not hosting mail on our
infrastructure

in context of "DKIM and DMARC are the present and near future" how do you imaine that to work if you have no clue who is sending on behalf of yours?

if you are able to coordinate the correct usage of DKIM with all of them than you can also set a correct SPF (in case they are not using their own envelope for whatever reason)

so, no, your complete picture don't match and si just a weak excuse

And SPF doesn't do anything about the only part of the message the
users care
about, the message headers.

different story

but "~" is for TESTING and if i don't intend to *really* use SPF i don't
start with it and if i don't grok that difference at least i do not
demand from others how they have to setup their mail domains

In any event, SPF is legacy. DKIM and DMARC are the present and near
future of
mail services. DMARC uses SPF only as a fallback for broken or missing
DKIM
signatures

DKIM is way to fargile at all - guess why SpamAssasin just uses
T_DKIM_INVALID instead of DKIM_INVALID - because it randomly failed for
untouched legit mail, Google for other parts of mailsystems then SA
which has and have the same issues and the come back and talk about the
future