On Thu, 3 Mar 2016 15:35:38 +0000
Robert Chalmers wrote:

> So what exactly is the ?kludge? - given that mostly I followed the
> Wiki and various other setup guidelines? I?m not doing per user
> configs, but site wide.

If you are running spamd as spamuser the files, and the directory
they are in, should be owned by spamuser with only that user having
write access. You current have them as writeable by any user.

When spamd is started without -u it runs for each  individual email as
the unix user running spamc. The wiki suggests doing that and setting
permissions that allow anyone write access. That is the kludge.