Hello,

I'm getting more and more spam every day and SpamAssassin can't handle it. Most of it looks very similar but it isn't filtered out.

I've set up clamav-unofficial-sigs recently by installing the Ubuntu package. My MTA is configured so that anything detected by clamav is declared a virus and rejected immediately. I also get a report of virus-rejected mails. But it doesn't catch a single message. Maybe one out of a hundred in a week.

How can I verify that the clamav-unofficial-sigs package is set up properly? Or is it not useful in these situations with today's spam?

What other solutions are there to improve the detection rate of SpamAssassin? My current spam-to-useful ratio in some mailboxes is somewhere around 10:1. That's close to the point of abandoning e-mail and reverting to telephone and snailmail. The rate of spam phone calls is a lot lower, and that's not considering the filter.

Examples of the subjects from the recent days:

   FW: Order RF#391032
   Document2
   FW: Payment Receipt
   Sixt Invoice: 6502444876 from 24.03.2016
   Attached document(s)
   FW: Payment Details - [223434]
   Image9876411149045.pdf
   Voicemail from 07730881627 <07730881627> 00:00:24
   FW: Order Status #022412
   FW: Payment #092161
   FW: Confirmation #388194

All of the messages have attachments, but I can't block all attachments completely.

Does grey-listing still work today? Is there an easy way to enable it in either SpamAssassin or Exim? I don't want to fiddle around with databases and such for days in a running system.

Yves Goergen
http://unclassified.software