On Thu, 2016-04-21 at 16:07 +0100, RW wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 08:33:01 -0500
> Chip M. wrote:
>

> > Starting about two hours ago, about 40% of my real-time
> > honeypot spam is a new malware campaign.  About a third are
> > hitting "BAYES_00", with about 10% of all having negative SA
> > scores. :(
> >
> > Full spample (with munged email addresses):
> >     http://puffin.net/software/spam/samples/0040_mal_tgz.txt

> I wonder how common  octet-stream is with legitimate  .tgz
> files.

I'd say its not very common at all when included in a commercial e-mail
as an attached invoice, purchase order or similar document. I've never
seen one, but then again my mail volume is relatively low. In fact I
don't think I've ever seen a legitimate .tgz or .gz file that
originated outside the Linux/UNIX development environment.

As such, it should be quite safe to reject if it is detected by a
suitable meta-rule.

Martin