On Wed, 25 May 2016 10:17:19 -0500 (CDT)
sha...@shanew.net wrote:

> So, for those with more experience, what is the preferred way to run a
> backup MX (or two or three, etc.) without losing or breaking the
> benefit of spam filtering?

For small installations, I find a backup MX is more trouble than it's
worth.  So I just don't bother.  Seriously, if your Exchange server or
whatever is down for more than a couple of hours, you have deeper IT
infrastructure problems than can be solved with a backup MX host.

For large installations, I run multiple MX hosts that all run as part
of the same spam-filtering cluster and which then relay onward to the
real mail host.  Of course, it's important for the scanners to be aware
of all valid recipients on the back-end so they can reject mail to
invalid recipients without causing backscatter.

Regards,

Dianne.